When a family member dies in the Virginia Beach area, the probate process in Hampton Roads. Virginia Beach, Norfolk, and Chesapeake and the administration of an estate can quickly become complicated, particularly if several heirs are involved. Disputes about the validity of a will or trust, as well as the proper manner in which they should be executed, can easily emerge, and resolving these issues often requires legal intervention. Google Virginia Beach Probate attorney for help.
What is probate?
Nolo Law for All says, “Probate is a legal process that takes place after someone dies. It includes:
- proving in court that a deceased person’s will is valid (usually a routine matter)
- identifying and inventorying the deceased person’s property
- having the property appraised paying debts and taxes, and
- distributing the remaining property as the will (or state law, if there is no will) directs.
In other words, probate is a way to freeze the estate until a judge determines that the Will is valid.
Does all property have to go through probate when a person dies?
Nolo Law for All says,
- Most states allow a certain amount of property to pass free of or through a simplified probate procedure. In Virginia, for example, you can pass up to $50,000 of property without probate. The transfer procedure for any property left to a surviving spouse just needs a copy of the death certificate.
- In addition, a property that passes outside of your will — say, through joint tenancy or a living trust — is not subject to probate.
What does a probate attorney do?
A Virginia Beach probate attorney will encourage a family to have a will. That will ensure that all assets will pass to the heirs quickly and efficiently. A will expresses the clear wishes for the disposition of assets after the passing of a loved one. Inter-family disputes over assets are some of the most stressful events for a family. Drawing up a will with a probate attorney is one of the most loving things you can do for your family.
Even before a property has cleared probate, the heirs may want to quickly dispose of the property. ChristianBuysHouses.com can help. The heirs may not want to bring the house up to today’s standards. There may be no money for repairing, paying taxes. There may not be an inclination to spend time renting, or staging and showing the house. ChristianBuysHouses.com is a cash buyer solution. We can buy the property “As-Is,” and we do not require repairs; we pay cash and can close quickly if needed.There are no closing costs or inspections for the seller.
I am Christian Dunlap and my company, ChristianBuysHouses.com.
We buy houses all across Hampton Roads, including Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake and Portsmouth.
Give me a call today at 757-705-8812, and I will do my best to provide you with the fastest and fairest home selling solution you need.