This morning I awoke from my nightly doze, looked out the window, and pondered hardwood or carpet for my Virginia Beach house. Local real estate agents, flooring retailers, and homeowners have differing opinions depending on whether they are looking for salability or lifestyle. I considered several factors including the timing of the replacement, lifestyle, pets, what is appropriate for the budget, and the home’s price point.
One factor was prominent: carpet is cheaper but may need replacing more often. Hardwood flooring is not inexpensive and can cost between $9 and $12 per square foot, compared with about $3 to $5 per square foot for carpet. Some homeowners opt to install wood floors only in some rooms rather than throughout their home.
Hardwood or Carpet for Virginia Beach
When I look through home design books and magazines, I see hardwood more often than carpet, but that doesn’t mean carpeting is not current. Many real estate agents report that carpeting is still the top choice for many Virginia Beach residents.
Remember the wave of burnt-orange shag carpeting in the 1970s? We had it in our house. Today, you want to avoid extremely dark or light colors. To keep it current, opt instead for today’s popular gray and brown shades. You find today’s carpeting extremely durable, and pet- and stain-resistant. You will probably replace the carpet for a change, not out of necessity.
You will see hardwoods in the traditional solid wood and in engineered wood. Engineered wood is a composite made of recycled or scrap wood and fibers bonded Angeles together and covered with a thin veneer of solid wood on the surface.
Engineered wood flooring has opened the door to a multitude of great wood flooring choices. Some of these choices, because of availability, have become very competitively priced. However, depending on the wood chosen, the flooring can also be quite expensive. (Add $5 to $12 a square foot for installation.)
All agents said hardwood floors are the No. 1 choice for living areas in most Los Angeles neighborhoods where buyers expect character and charm.
Hardwood or Carpet for Rentals
Here are our thoughts about your choices:
- Carpet offers comfort for rentals. It is immediately warm and comfortable. You can imagine yourself sitting or lying down on the carpet. That’s a stretch for hardwood floors and tiled floors. They are cold and uncomfortable.
- Cost: The cost to install and replace tiled or hardwood floors is a hard pill to swallow. The price is far more than carpet.
- Cost and Efficiency: Carpets are easy to clean and replace. They are also very cheap per square foot compared to installing hardwood or tiled flooring.
- Durability: Carpets can withstand a lot of wear and tear. Tiles can crack or break if you drop something hard or heavy enough. If you spill something on hardwood floors it has to be cleaned up immediately once the water or liquid gets into the wood it starts to warp. Hardwood floors can easily be scratched.
- Décor: It is easy to swap one color carpet for another. A room can be re-carpeted in a few hours.
For my home above the yellow starfish. I prefer hardwood with rugs to bring a softness and warmth a room. For a rental, I prefer carpet for its comfort and warmth and cost.
Ask now for our FREE information about How to Sell Your House Fast.
I am Christian Dunlap and my company, ChristianBuysHouses.com,
buys houses all across Hampton Roads, including Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake and Portsmouth.
Give me a call today at 757-705-8812, and I will do my best to provide you with the fastest and fairest home selling solution you need.